Admissions and Records

Apply now to SUSCC using our FREE admissions application!

Southern Union welcomes high school graduates, GED recipients, transfer or transient students from other colleges and universities, and former SU students. There are also opportunities for eligible high school students who meet SU admissions requirements to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes.

How to Apply:

  1. Submit an online application through our online portal.
  2. Submit a copy of your Official High School Transcript or GED Transcript.
  3. Submit copies of all Official College transcript(s). (Transfer students only!)
  4. Submit Dual Enrollment Form (High School students only!)
  5. Submit a Transient Permission Letter (Transient students only!)


Your application for general admission provides us with the information we need to get you started. Once you've submitted your application, the admissions office must receive an official copy of your high school or GED transcript and any college transcripts as mentioned above. 


If you have previously applied for general admission to Southern Union but did not enroll, or have previously been enrolled but have not attended Southern Union for three or more consecutive semesters, you are a returning student. We are proud you have chosen Southern Union to help you attain those goals!

1. General Application. If you have missed three or more consecutive semesters you must update college records by applying for readmission online

2. Provide the following official documents to the Admissions Office: 

Official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities you have attended since you last attended Southern Union.

Students who have a lapse in enrollment of more than six semesters must submit updated transcripts from all previously attended institutions. 

You Are Just a Few Steps Away From Enrolling as a DUAL-ENROLLED HIGH SCHOOL Student

Are you a highly motivated high school student with a 2.5 or better grade point average who would like to earn college credit while also earning high school credit? If your school has a dual-enrollment agreement with Southern Union, we will be proud to assist you in getting started with your college degree.

Southern Union offers dual-enrollment opportunities for high school students on their own high school campus or on any SUSCC campus.  Dual-enrollment credit means that the course you take through the college will count towards credits for your high school diploma as well as earn college credit for your future.  If a course you wish to take is not required for high school credit, you can pursue accelerated college credit while you are still in high school.  If you are interested, discuss your plans with your high school counselor to determine what is the best solution for your needs.  

For more information on Dual Enrollment please click here. 

Special requirements may apply to international students seeking admission. Students must submit an International Student Application, official transcripts, an I-20 Form, TOEFL scores, declaration of responsibility statement, proof of insurance, and all appropriate admissions forms no less than 3 months prior to semester of anticipated enrollment.  Click here for the International Student Application and Information Packet.

Prior to being issued an I-20 form, all international student applications must be submitted no less than three months prior to the beginning of the semester for which the applicant hopes to gain admittance.

International student applicants are not eligible for conditional admission status.

For more information on admission to SU, International Students should contact  Shawn Caldwell, Advisor for International Students,, 334-745-6437 ext. 5483.

NOTE: You must submit your International Student Application for Admission at least three (3) months prior to the beginning of the semester in which you hope to be admitted to the College in order to be issued an I-20. Thank you for your interest in Southern Union.

Read the instructions and information in this packet carefully. First, you must complete the Application for General Admission.  Then, prospective international students must submit all of the following documents listed below to Shawn Caldwell at the address provided herein, before further consideration may be given to the student’s admission or enrollment process.

Please note: Southern Union requires official documents. Official documents and/or transcripts must be mailed from educational institutions and/or testing agencies to the Southern Union Admissions Office.

Application Packet Check List:

1. Submit a college application for general admission. 

2. Completed Application for International Students

3. Official High School and College Transcripts (if applicable) Indicating Graduation Date. (Transcripts from high schools and colleges in foreign countries must be translated into English and submitted to one of the following evaluators).

4. U.S. Official College Transcripts (if applicable). A Transfer Clearance Form must also be submitted for students who are or were enrolled in any U.S. college or university.

5.  A minimum score of 5.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), a total score of 61 on the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a 2A on the Step EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency, a total score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL, or a 95 on the Duolingo English Test must be taken by each international student whose national language is not English and who did not graduate from an English speaking high school. Official scores should be sent to Southern Union State Community College prior to a decision on admission.  

6. Proof of Adequate Health/Accident Insurance. Documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance must be maintained detailing all periods of enrollment and must include a repatriation clause of $25,000 or more. 

7. Sponsor. The Sponsor Support Form must indicate that he/she will be responsible for the student while they are in the United States. A sponsorship form is attached for your convenience. This form requires documentation.

8. Financial. The college requires the Financial Support Form to be on file. This letter should indicate that the student will have at least $35,850 (United States currency) available in the United States for their expenses while they are enrolled. Financial aid is generally not available to international students.

9. Immunization/Medical Form. Must be completed and signed by a medical physician or authorized healthcare professional.

*Note: International students are required to be enrolled full-time (12 semester/contact hours or more) during the fall and spring semesters. However, they can be part-time or do not have to be enrolled during the summer term. This is the college’s “break period” regarding international student enrollment. There are very limited exceptions to this policy; however, international students can drop below full-time enrollment if it is the final term for the completion of their program of study (graduation). All international students who hold an F-1 visa are assessed at the out-of-state rate and are not eligible for in-state rates.

Mail all official documents to:

Shawn Caldwell, Advisor for International Students
Southern Union State Community College
301 Lake Condy Road
Opelika, AL 36801

  Non-U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Permanent Residents are not eligible for conditional admission status. The following documents are required prior to registration. 

1. Submit an online application for general admission.

2. Completed International Student Application.

3. If you attended high school/college in the United States, an official transcript with a valid graduation date is required. High school transcripts must come directly from the institution. If you attended high school/college outside of the United States, transcripts must be translated into English and submitted by one of the following evaluators:

4.  Immunization/Medical Form 

  • How do I submit my transcripts or GED to SUSCC?

What’s the difference between an official and an unofficial transcript?

  • An official paper transcript is sent in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.

  • An electronic transcript is considered official if sent through a secure transcript service and the intended party is the direct email recipient. If emailed to the requestor, who then forwards it, it will be considered unofficial.

  • An electronic transcript that is printed then re-scanned in an email is considered unofficial.

How can I submit official high school or college transcripts to SU?

  • Request that your school mail your transcripts to P.O. Box 1000 Wadley, AL 36276.

  • Send an official electronic (PDF) transcript via a secure network such as Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse to


How do I submit my GED transcripts to SU?

  • Go to the GED Test Service website at 

  • Click Grads and Transcripts

  • If you tested in 2014 or later, click “Log in to Request Transcript.” If you tested before 2014, select Region and Area.

  • Be sure to request the transcript and not a diploma for SUSCC admission purposes.

  • Be sure to request your transcript be sent directly to Southern Union. Mailed transcripts should be sent to P.O. Box 1000, Wadley, AL 36276. Electronic (PDF) transcripts should be sent to

  • For admission to courses leading to an associate degree, you must hold a High School Diploma or GED. For additional questions, please contact Admissions at  

If you have problems accessing your student email, please email and tell them you cannot log in to the email and provide your name, email, A number, and birthday. 

Apply for financial aid.

 Take the Accuplacer placement test, if needed. 

Click here to find out if you need placement testing.  If you have questions, speak with an academic advisor.

Secure your tuition payment method. Payment is due at the time of registration. 

  • To apply for federal financial aid visit Final approval for financial aid may take up to 6-8 weeks for processing once all documentation has been received by the school. Final processing of financial aid at Southern Union cannot occur until steps 1-5 have been completed.  Be sure to check your student email in case additional information is needed from you to finalize financial aid processing.

  • Students who do not receive financial aid will be required to pay tuition at the time of registration. Payments can be made by credit or debit card through the  mySUSCC portal. Choose the Student Tab > Student Account > Touchnet Bill+Payments, and log in using your "A" number and mySUSCC password. For detailed, step-by-step directions, check out this How to Pay Tuition and Fees PDF.  

  • Students will be dropped for non-payment before classes begin for the semester. Tuition payments should be made prior to that date.  For the Tuition & Fees Schedule and refund information, visit the Tuition & Fees page.

Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor. Sign-up for an individual advising appointment by clicking on the button below. Meetings can either be in-person or virtual. 

Schedule an Appointment

Virtual meetings: Virtual meetings will take place on Google Meet. Access to a webcam and microphone is helpful to utilize this service. To comply with FERPA regulations, students will be required to show a valid photo ID before each appointment. 

In-Person Meetings: In-person appointments will be available for certain dates. Masks and social distancing are required for an in-person appointment.  

New Student registration dates are published in the Student Handbook and Catalog and the  Academic Calendar on the website. High school transcripts should have previously been sent to the Records Office but for better service, provide an unofficial copy at the time of your advising meeting.  College transcripts for any dual/accelerated credit earned should also be provided by the student.

Verify payment has been receipted to your account. 

Verify with the Cashier’s Office that your payment has been received if paying cash or using a debit or credit card.  If using financial aid, verify that the tuition and fees have been paid in full (Some types of aid and scholarships do not pay 100% of the fees.)

Obtain Student ID and Parking Permit

Report to the Learning Resource Center on Opelika or Wadley Campus with a PAID class schedule during designated LRC operating hours to get your student ID. Students charging books to financial aid programs must present a valid SUSCC ID to charge books.

Southern Union has many designated student parking areas. You must have a Southern Union parking permit in order to park on campus. Click here for more information on how to purchase your parking permit. 

Obtain books for your classes. 

Students using financial aid to purchase books and supplies may charge these through the campus bookstore following a 24 hour waiting period after scheduling classes. Books for financial aid recipients are sold during a designated schedule each semester which is posted in the financial aid office or bookstore. Students must present a valid SUSCC Student ID to charge books to financial aid

Records Office Forms and Information:

Requesting Transcripts from Southern Union State Community College

For information on how to request educational records or transcripts from Southern Union, please refer to the following website: Transcript Requests

Withdrawal From a Single Course
Students may withdraw from a class at any time through the last day to withdraw, as listed in the college calendar. Prior to
the deadline date specified in the college calendar, the student will receive a grade of “W” for any course dropped. 

Withdrawal From the College

Students may withdraw completely from SUSCC at any time through the last day to withdraw, specified in the College
calendar. Withdrawing from the last class is considered a complete withdrawal from the college. Students cannot withdraw
from the last class through their MySUSCC portal. Students wishing to withdraw from all classes should submit a complete
withdrawal form or email the Admissions Office at, from their student email account. Should a
student abandon any classes without officially withdrawing from the classes or from the College, the grade of "F" will be
Please check with Financial Aid before withdrawing in case it will affect your eligibility. 


Note: Students may not drop a course in which a final grade has been earned. 


Course Forgiveness Policy When a course is repeated more than once, all grades for the course - excluding the first grade - will be employed in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. A course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. Course forgiveness does not influence aid nor transfer GPA. When a course is repeated one time, the last grade awarded (excluding grades of “W”) replaces the previous grade in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average during the term in which the course was first attempted will not be affected. The official transcript will list the course and grade each time it is attempted. This policy applies to Southern Union State Community College courses only. Implementation of forgiveness does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.

A student may request forgiveness for courses by completing a “Request for Course Forgiveness” form. Once you have completed the form, you can submit it in person, by mail, or by email to

Course Forgiveness Form


Academic bankruptcy is the removal of one to three semesters of grades from the calculation of a student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). The following apply to any request for academic bankruptcy:

1. Academic bankruptcy is initiated by a written request from the student to the registrar/records official.

2. Upon receipt of the student’s request, the college will inform the student that an award of academic bankruptcy may impact his/her financial aid status.

3. Academic bankruptcy may only be declared once and may be applied to no more than three (3) semesters, which do not have to be consecutive.

4. The bankrupted courses and grades remain on the transcript but are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA.

5. None of the coursework taken during a semester for which academic bankruptcy is declared, including hours completed satisfactorily, will be used to fulfill degree requirements.

6. Developmental courses successfully completed during a period of academic bankruptcy can be used to fulfill prerequisites.

7. To be eligible for academic bankruptcy, the student must have completed 12 semester credit hours of coursework at the college since the most recent semester for which the academic bankruptcy is requested. A grade of “C”, “S”, or higher is required in each course in 12 semester credit hours in the post-bankruptcy period.

8. When a student receives a declaration of academic bankruptcy, a permanent notation of “ACADEMIC BANKRUPTCY” will be reflected on the transcript for each semester affected.

9. Approval of the academic bankruptcy status at a college does not guarantee other institutions will honor that status. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institution(s).

10. Academic bankruptcy has no bearing on financial aid status or eligibility. Standards of Academic Progress are determined based on all courses attempted.


Academic Bankruptcy Form

Suspension Appeals

One Semester Suspension Appeals

Southern Union has developed an intervention program to assist students who are on a one term academic suspension. If you choose to appeal your suspension and participate in the intervention program, you will be permitted to re-enroll at Southern Union.

To appeal your one-term suspension and take advantage of this opportunity, contact your assigned academic advisor to enroll in the Intervention for Student Success Program before the first day of class:

Wadley - Tiffanie Character,, 256-395-2211 ext. 5154

Opelika - Academic Division- Jeremy Taunton,, 334-234-6475 ext. 5305

                Health Science Division- Chiquita Brooks,, 334-745-6475 ext. 5547

                Technical Division- Amanda Harkins,, 334-745-6475 ext. 5411

Valley - Robin Brown,, 334-756-4151 ext. 5204.

One Year Suspension Appeals

Students (native or transfer) who are on a one-year (three-semester) suspension and have served at least one semester may file an Academic Suspension Appeal to request to return to college before the year of suspension is served.  

The Academic Suspension Appeal application can be found in the College Catalog under Standards of Academic Progress.



Deadlines for one year suspension appeals

All academic suspension appeals must be submitted by the dates below:

Fall 2024

To be considered for readmission for the Fall 2024 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by July 29, 2024.

Spring 2025

To be considered for readmission for the Spring 2025 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by December 6, 2024.

Summer 2025

To be considered for readmission for the Summer 2025 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by April 29, 2025.

Application and Deadlines for Instate Eligibility

Eligibility for in-state tuition is determined in one of three ways: legal residency, substantial connections, or non-resident request. Residency is determined at the time of admissions acceptance. All international students who hold an F-1 visa are assessed at the out-of-state rate and are not eligible for in-state rates. The in-state tuition rate shall be extended to students who reside outside of Alabama in a state and county within fifty (50) miles of a designated campus of Southern Union State Community College, provided, however, that the campus must have been in existence and operating as of January 1, 1996. The following Georgia counties are approved reciprocal counties: Carroll, Chattahoochee, Coweta, Haralson, Harris, Heard, Marion, Meriwether, Muscogee, Pike, Quitman, Stewart, Talbot, Taylor, Troup, or Upson.  If you are currently classified as out-of-state but feel you may be eligible for in-state tuition, please see the application for in-state eligibility below.  

Application for Instate Eligibility

Deadlines for Instate Residency

  • Spring 2024 - 11-20-2023

  • Summer 2024 - 04-26-2024

  • Fall 2024 - 08-05-2024

  • Spring 2025 - TBA

  • Summer 2025 - TBA

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

Under the Federal Education and Privacy Rights Act of 1974 (FERPA), student education records are considered confidential and may not be released without the student’s written consent.  To find out more about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), visit the SUSCC catalog.

Release of Records Form