Academic Advising

Academic Advising Appointments

You can make appointments for Academic Advising  that are virtual or in-person. For quick questions, you can email or call an advisor directly at the contact information on this webpage! For longer conversations, you can schedule a 30-minute meeting with an advisor.

Virtual Meetings:  All virtual meetings will be conducted on Google Meet, and access to a webcam and microphone is helpful to utilize this service. To comply with FERPA, students will be asked to show a valid photo ID before each appointment. 

In-Person Meetings: If you schedule an in-person meeting, the meeting location will be provided in your confirmation email. 

Walk-In Meetings:  If you do not schedule a meeting ahead of time, we do have walk-in appointments available, but these are on a first come basis and may require some wait time.  Wait times during registration periods may take a little longer than normal.  

Schedule an Appointment: Click on "Schedule an Appointment" below. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address that you provide on the registration form. For virtual meetings, the confirmation email will provide a link to the Google Meet. If the advisor you would like to meet with is unavailable, you can reach out to them by email or phone at the contact information below.

Technical Division: Students in the Technical Division can reach out to Amanda Harkins at for assistance with advising. 

Spring 2024 Registration Guide

How to Register Video


Requesting Transcripts from Southern Union State Community College

For information on how to request your educational records or transcripts from Southern Union, please refer to the following website: Transcript Requests


Advising Staff

General Questions

Southern Union Advising Office

Opelika Campus

Jeremy Taunton - Coordinator of Advising/Recruiter
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5305)

Shawn Caldwell - Advisor/Recruiter
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5483)

Kenneth Gray - Advisor/Recruiter
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5306)

Sarah Henry - Advisor/Recruiter
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5307)

Health Sciences Division

Chiquita Brooks - Advisor/Recruiter
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5519)

Valley Campus

Robin Brown - Associate Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
334-756-4151 (Extension - 5204)

Wadley Campus

Tiffanie Character - Advisor/Recruiter
256-395-2211 (Extension 5154)

Technical Division

Amanda Harkins - Advisor
334-745-6437 (Extension - 5411)


Advising Hours

Summer Term

Monday-Thursday 7:00 a.m.  - 5:30 p.m.

Friday 7:15 a.m.  - 12:15 p.m.

Fall Term

Monday-Thursday 7:15 a.m.  - 4:30 p.m.

Friday 7:15 a.m.  - 12:15 p.m.

Spring Term

Monday-Thursday 7:15 a.m.  - 4:30 p.m.

Friday 7:15 a.m.  - 12:15 p.m.

A Guide for Students Transferring to Colleges/Universities in Alabama

What is the AGSC & STARS?

The AGSC stands for the Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee. The AGSC was created in March of 1994 through State Legislation (ACT 94-202).

What is Alabama Transfers?

Your newly-reimagined STARS guide.

Alabama Transfers is a valuable resource for students in the state of Alabama who are seeking a smooth and efficient transition from a community college to a four-year institution. This program offers a comprehensive guide that outlines the transfer pathways, including course equivalencies and requirements, between Alabama's two-year colleges and its public universities. It is designed to ensure that students can seamlessly transfer their earned credits, reducing the risk of duplication and loss of academic progress. Alabama Transfers not only simplifies the transfer process but also helps students make well-informed decisions about their academic journey. By fostering collaboration between community colleges and universities in Alabama, this program plays a vital role in enhancing accessibility, affordability, and the overall educational experience for students pursuing higher education within the state.

(Formerly known as STARS from its founding in 1994 through November 2022.)


Role and responsibility of the AGSC

The AGSC was created to simplify the transfer of course credit between public institutions of higher education. To accomplish this task, the AGSC has developed and implemented a statewide general studies and articulation program that facilitates the transferability of coursework among all Alabama public colleges and universities. The AGSC continues to serve as a monitoring committee for the articulation program. They oversee and maintain the program on an on-going basis. Finally, the AGSC works to resolve any student appeals related to transfer of coursework as it relates to the articulation program.


Alabama Transfers



Get the guide - 

Submit an official Transfer Agreement, and bring your earned credits with you when you transfer

The AGSC oversees the work of the STARS Program (now Alabama Transfers). STARS stands for Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System. STARS is a web-accessible database system which provides guidance and direction for prospective transfer students in the State of Alabama.

The STARS system allows students, advisors, faculty, and administrators to obtain the most current AGSC approved transfer information. Prospective transfer students can log onto the STARS system and obtain a transfer guide for their chosen major that prescribes the coursework needed in the first 60-64 semester hours (SH) of their degree program. If a student follows the guide and does not change majors, they should receive degree credit upon transfer to the receiving institution.

The STARS system allows public two-year students in Alabama to obtain a transfer guide/agreement for the major of their choice. This guide/agreement, if used correctly, guides the student through their first two years of coursework and prevents loss of credit hours upon transfer to the appropriate public four-year university in Alabama. Although transfer guides/agreements can only be generated for two-year to four-year transfers, the STARS system can still provide guidance and direction to transfer students who have a different transfer situation.

The information that students receive from the STARS system has been approved by the AGSC.

Transferring Out-of-State?

Students who plan to transfer to colleges and universities outside of Alabama should talk with an advisor at the institution for which they are interested in transferring to work out a plan of study