VETERANS EDUCATION BENEFITS
While the Veterans Affairs Coordinator does not determine eligibility for assistance, we ensure that proper paperwork is completed, certified, and filed with the Department of Veterans Affairs so that payment of benefits can begin. It normally takes 30 days for the Veterans Regional Office to finish processing your claim and issuing a Certificate of Eligibility.
The following information should serve as a brief overview of these programs and your benefits.
REQUIREMENTS TO USE EDUCATION BENEFITS AT SUSCC
- A copy of your VA Education Certificate of Eligibility (COE) should be provided to the VA Coordinator in the Student Veterans Resource Center.
- A Statement of Understanding (SOU) must be completed at the beginning of every academic year.
- An Enrollment Certification Request Form must be completed after registering for classes each semester.
Apply for State VA Education Benefits for Dependents and Spouses through the local Veterans Service Office in your county : https://va.alabama.gov/serviceofficer
ALABAMA GI DEPENDENTS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
ALABAMA NATIONAL GUARD ASSISSTANCE PROGRAM (ANGEAP)
ANGEAP is a program established by the legislature of the state of Alabama and is designed to provide financial assistance to active Alabama National Guard members who are enrolled in degree programs at accredited post-secondary institutions of higher learning located within the State of Alabama.
PURPLE HEART WAIVER
The Purple Heart Waiver is a waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees for Purple Heart recipients.
A public institution of higher education may waive undergraduate tuition and fees for each veteran who is the recipient of the Purple Heart and who satisfies all of the following:
- Is enrolled as a full-time, part-time, or summer school student in an undergraduate program that culminates in a degree or certificate.
- Is currently, and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart, a resident of this state.
- Submits to the public institution of higher education the DD-214 form issued at the time of separation from service as documentation that he or she has received the Purple Heart.
FEDERAL TUITION ASSISTANCE (ArmyIgnitED)
Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DOD) program. VA does not administer TA. TA rules vary by branch of service and can even vary between units depending on whether the unit is active, reserve, or National Guard.
CHAPTER 30 MONTGOMERY GI BILL ® ACTIVE DUTY
The Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty), also known as Chapter 30, is a program of education benefits generally for individuals who enter active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, and have contributed to the College Fund.
CHAPTER 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment
A veteran may be eligible for Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31) benefits if he or she:
- Received, or will receive, a discharge other than dishonorable conditions; incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles him or her to VA disability compensation; and need vocational rehabilitation because his or her disability creates an employment handicap.
CHAPTER 33 POST 9/11®
The Post 9/11 GI Bill is a program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. The benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.
CHAPTER 1606 MONTGOMERY GI BILL® RESERVES
This program provides benefits for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985.
CHAPTER 35 SURVIVORS AND DEPENDENTS (DEA)
Sons, daughters and spouses of veterans may be eligible for educational assistance if the veteran died while in service, died as a result of a service connected disability, became permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability, or died while disability was in existence. Benefits are paid at the single rate.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply or update your Federal Veterans Education Benefits online at https://www.va.gov/.
VA Policy Manual at SUSCC
Please take a moment to review the Policy Manual available. (download now)