Programs of Study
In addition to the general admission requirements of the College, application to the Physical Therapist Assistant program requires:
- ENG 101 English Composition I
- MTH 100 Inter. Algebra or higher
- PSY 200 General Psychology
- PSY 210 Growth and Development
- SPH 107 Fundamentals of Public Speaking (or SPH 106)
- HPS 105 Medical Terminology
- IDS 102 Ethics (preferred) or a Humanities or Fine Arts Elective
- BIO 201/202 Anatomy & Physiology I/II
Other optional courses:
- PTA100 Introduction to Physical Therapy
- PTA120 Introduction to Kinesiology
- HED231 First Aid
- Health Sciences Information Session Attendance Verification. See Health Science Information Session information at www.suscc.edu.
- Minimum 10 hrs of PT Observation experience with signed documentation from licensed PT/PTA.
- Completion of prerequisite academic core courses with a minimum grade of“C” or higher meeting a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Minimum 2.0 gpa at Southern Union if previously enrolled. Transfer students must enter the College on clear status. Official transcripts in Records Office from all postsecondary institutions attended and high school transcript. Official score on ACT National or ACT Residual with a minimum composite score of 18. (No time limit on when the test was taken.)
- Required Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 on PTA required academic core courses: BIO 201, BIO 202, ENG 101, MTH 100 or higher, PSY 200, PSY 210, SPH 107 or 106, HPS 105, IDS 102 or Humanities/Fine Arts Elective. A minimum of 2.0 GPA at SUSCC or entry to College on clear academic status if never enrolled at SUSCC.
Submission of application for Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
ACT National or Residual Composite Score. NOTE: There is no time limit of when the test was taken. Applicants who do not have their ACT test score submitted to the Admissions office before the deadline and have a copy attached to their program application will not be ranked for admission purposes. Verify with the Records office that the ACT score you want used matches those on file. You can access your submitted score through your MYSUSCC account. Students must have a composite score of an 18 or higher to be eligible to apply.
Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of clinical facilities available. After meeting minimal requirements, applicants are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on score on ACT/ACT Residual and quality points from selected college courses. Students maybe eligible to earn additional points.