AHA Healthcare Provider (BLS) CPR Certification
Who: This is for Southern Union students and non-Southern Union students. This is also for first-time certification or renewal certification
When: We try to offer two different dates each month. Those dates can be found on our Southern Union Website (Programs of Study – Continuing Education – CPR)
How: There are two parts to becoming certified in CPR. Part 1 is the Heartcode BLS course taken online through American Heart Association. Part 2 includes the Skills Check-Off Session completed at Southern Union State Community College (or another institution of your choice) in room 201 of the Health Science Building on the Opelika Campus.
Part 1 – Heartcode – BLS - Register Online through American Heart Association
- Go to www.onlineaha.org to register
- Go to “Find a Course” and search for BLS – Basic Life Support in the drop-down menu
- You will put “1” in the quantity box to place “Heartcode BLS” in your cart ($28.50)
- DO NOT use the Course Finder Wizard on this page…………it will only confuse you.
- You will receive an e-book, watch a video, answer questions about the video and then complete a 25- question test.
- Once you have completed the entire Online Portion, print the Online Part 1 Certificate of Completion. You must bring this Certificate of Completion to the Check-Off Session.
Part 2 – Registering for Skills Check-Off Session – Done on Southern Union Campus
- Once you successfully complete Part 1 (online portion), you will receive a Part 1 Certificate of Completion and you will need to sign up for a Skills Check-Off Session at Southern Union.
- Go to www.suscc.edu
- Click on Programs of Study
- Click on Continuing Education
- Click on “Register for CPR Check-Off”
- You will choose a provided Check-Off date and time, complete the demographic information and pay $24.00 by credit/debit card. You will bring your Part 1 Certificate of Completion to your Skills Check-Off Date.
- You cannot complete the Skills Check-Off Session without providing your Part 1 Certificate of Completion.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late for your Skills Check-Off Date, you will NOT be able to participate and you will be moved to the next Skills Check-Off Date. You will not have to pay the $24.00 again.
- You do not have to be Checked Off at Southern Union, but your CPR Card must be say: “BLS – Healthcare Provider or “BLS Heartcode” and it must be from American Heart Association or The Military Training Network (MTN) which is AHA approved. NO OTHER ORGANIZATIONS WILL BE RECOGNIZED EVEN THOUGH THEY CLAIM TO BE FOLLOWING AHA GUIDELINES (example: Red Cross).
- If you do not pass your Check-Off Session, it will be suggested that you sign up for the next check-off session by filling out another registration form, paying another $24.00 and turning in your form at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled date. You will not have to complete the $28.50 online portion again as long as your check-off session is completed successfully within 60 days of the date on the online Part 1 Certificate of Completion.
- If you are entering a Southern Union health science program, your card does not have to be acquired from Southern Union, but it does have to be from American Heart Association.
Day of Check-Off Information:
- If you feel sick or have had a fever recently, do not attend. Email Dr. Rogers and let her know you will not be there (email@example.com).
- Please arrive 30 minutes early for your Check-Off.
- Bring your own mask (for Covid-19, not CPR breaths).
- Bring your own writing utensil.
- Park in the Main Student Parking Lot. You will enter the Health Science Building on the Opelika Campus through the door that says, "Entrance Only." You will be screened at the doors upon entering the building. Please bring your cell phone.
- Bring your Part 1 Online Certificate of Completion.
- You will receive your CPR Card within a few days of a successful CPR Check-Off.
- If you do not receive your card within a few days or if you have any questions about the CPR Check-Off process, please email Dr. Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org).