Students interested in enrolling in the Surgical Technology Program must meet the program admission requirements and apply for admission to the program by the published deadline date.
Before applying for admission to the program, students must meet ALL application requirements listed below. Students who do not meet the minimal application requirements will not be considered for acceptance to the program.
Meeting minimal application requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program. (Please note that application requirements and procedures may change without prior notice. Please check with Health Sciences Division for updates prior to applying.) In addition to the general admission requirements for the College, admission to the Surgical Technology program requires:
- Health Sciences Information Session Verification of Attendance
- unconditional admission to the College.
- 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) calculated on last 24 semester credit hours of completed coursework.
- Transfer students must enter SUSCC on clear academic status (minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average).
- Current or previous Southern Union students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA at SUSCC.
- official transcripts received in Records Office (Wadley Campus) from all postsecondary institutions attended and high school or GED transcripts for those who have never attended Southern Union).
- student meet eligibility requirements for English 101 and Math 100 and satisfaction of the College reading requirement.
- application for the Surgical Technology Program.
- ability to meet and comply with standards and policies in the current College Catalog and Student Handbook.
- ability to meet all health/ clinical requirements as stated in the current Surgical Technology Student Handbook
Admission to the Surgical Technology Program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of faculty and clinical facilities available. Applicants who meet minimal requirements are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on grades earned in ENG 101, HPS 105, SUR 108, SUR 107 (or BIO 201 AND 202), BIO 220, and MTH 100 or higher level math. Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Helpful Student Resources
Health Sciences Information Session
Surgical Technology Program Application
Surgical Technology Program Brochure - Certificate Option
Surgical Technology Program Brochure - Associate in Applied Science Option
Graduation Requirements for Surgical Technology
Estimated Cost for Surgical Technology
Calculator for 24 hour GPA
Essential Functions for Surgical Technologists
Surgical Technology Student 2019-2020 Handbook
Health Requirements and Forms
Background Checks and Drug Screening
After admission to a program, students enrolling in health science courses must provide Southern Union State Community College with the required health care data before registering for the first semester of the surgical technology program. Clinical agencies mandate that students provide information regarding their current health status (annual physical examination and essential functions) that may affect the safety of the student or the client in the clinical settings. Click here for health forms and requirements checklist. Students may not register for classes if the required clinical documents are not up to date.
After admission to a health sciences program at SUSCC, students must complete a comprehensive background check and drug screening. Background checks and drug screening will be conducted by one vendor approved by the clinical agencies. Students who do not clear the Background Check will not be allowed to register for SUR courses. Students who do not pass the drug screening will be withdrawn from the surgical program. Find more information on the Background Check and Drug Screening by clicking here.
Students in the Health Sciences must demonstrate proof of health insurance. Students without proof of health insurance will not be allowed to register for health sciences courses or attend clinical. If you do not have insurance you may obtain information regarding insurance offered to SUSCC students at www.studentplanscenter.com or call 1-877-272-4532.