Students must apply for admission to the Paramedic-to-RN Mobility program no later than the published deadline. Before applying, students must meet ALL application criteria listed below. (Please note that admission requirements and procedures may change without prior notice. Please check with Health Sciences Division and/or website for updates prior to applying.)
In addition to the general admission requirements of the College, application to the Associate Degree Nursing program requires:
- Health Sciences Information Session Attendance Verification (must attach ORIGINAL document of verification to nursing application).
- Signed certificate validating successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course;
- unencumbered or nonrestricted license as a Paramedic in Alabama;
- unconditional admission to the College (see College catalog for requirements);
- 2.5 grade point average (GPA) calculated on completed academic core coursework, and
- current or previous Southern Union students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at SUSCC;
- transfer students must enter SUSCC on clear academic status (cumulative 2.0 gpa);
- official transcripts received by Records Office (Wadley Campus) from ALL post-secondary institutions attended (or official transcripts from high school/GED scores for those who have never attended college);
- meeting eligibility requirements for English 101 and Math 100 and satisfaction of the College reading requirement;
- official score on ACT. Minimum score of 18 required;
- submission of application for Associate Degree Nursing Program by deadline.
Admission to the Associate Degree Nursing Program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of clinical facilities available. After meeting minimal application requirements, applicants are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on score on ACT National or ACT Residual and quality points from selected college courses. Additional points may be awarded. Please see program application worksheet for criteria.
Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Helpful Student Resources
Application for Paramedic to ADN Mobility Program
Paramedic to ADN Program Brochure
Health Sciences Information Session
Estimated Program Costs
Calculator for Core GPA
Background Checks and Drug Screens
Nursing Student Handbook 2021-2022
After admission to a program, students enrolling in health sciences courses must provide Southern Union State Community College with the required health care data before registering for the first semester of the nursing program. Clinical agencies mandate that students provide information regarding their current health status (annual physical examination and essential functions) that may affect the safety of the student or the client in the clinical settings. Click here for health forms and requirements checklist. Students will not be allowed to register for NUR classes until all health requirements have been received by the Health Sciences Division.
After admission to a health sciences program at SUSCC, students must complete a comprehensive background check and drug screening. Background checks and drug screening will be conducted by one vendor approved by the clinical agencies. Students who do not clear the Background Check will not be allowed to register for nursing courses. Students who do not pass the drug screening will be withdrawn from the nursing program. Find more information on the Background Check and Drug Screening by clicking here.
Students in the Health Sciences must demonstrate proof of personal health insurance. Students without proof of health insurance will not be allowed to register for health sciences courses or attend clinical. If you do not have insurance you may obtain information regarding insurance offered to SUSCC students at www.studentinsurance.comor call 1-877-272-4532.