Students must apply for admission to the LPN to RN Mobility program no later than the published deadline. Before applying, students must meet ALL application criteria listed below. (Please note that admission requirements and procedures may change without prior notice. Please check with Health Sciences Division and/or website for updates prior to applying.)
In addition to the general admission requirements of the College, admission to the Associate Degree Nursing program requires:
- Health Sciences Information Session Attendance Verification (must attach ORIGINAL document of verification to nursing application).
- an unencumbered or non-restricted license as a practical nurse in Alabama.
- unconditional admission to the College (see College catalog for requirements).
- 2.5 grade point average (GPA) calculated on completed academic core coursework, and
- current or previous Southern Union students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at SUSCC.
- transfer students must enter SUSCC on clear academic status (cumulative 2.0 gpa).
- official transcripts in Records Office from ALL postsecondary institutions attended.
- official score on ACT National or ACT Residual (minimum composite score of 18);
- completion of prerequisite general education courses with a minimum grade of "C". See listing under Curriculum.
- application for LPN to Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Mobility Program by deadline.
Admission to the LPN to Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of clinical facilities available. After meeting minimal requirements, applicants are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on score on the ACT National or ACT Residual and quality points from selected college courses. Additional points may be awarded. Please see program application worksheet for criteria.
Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
TRACK II OPTION FOR MOBILITY
*Licensed Practical Nurses who have completed the standardized statewide practical nurse curriculum from a college in the Alabama College System within 1 year of admission, may apply for the LPN to ADN Track II Option. Students admitted to this program will not be required to take NUR 209 and will enter Semester II of the mobility curriculum. Applicants for this option must meet the same admission requirements as the LPN to ADN mobility applicants. Qualified applicants are admitted as clinical space permits in NUR 211, Advanced Nursing Concepts.
Helpful Student Resources
Application to LPN to RN Mobility Program
LPN to RN Mobility Program Brochure
Track II LPN to RN Mobility Program Brochure
Estimated Cost of LPN to RN Program
Estimated Cost of Track II Program
GPA Calculator for Core GPA
Criminal Backgrounds and Drug Screening
Nursing Student Handbook 2020-2021
Addendum to Nursing Handbook 2020-2021
After admission to a program, students enrolling in health science courses must provide Southern Union State Community College with the required health care data before registering for the first semester of the nursing program. Clinical agencies mandate that students provide information regarding their current health status (annual physical examination and essential functions) that may affect the safety of the student or the client in the clinical settings. Click here for health forms and requirements checklist. Students will not be allowed to register for NUR classes until all health requirements have been received by the Health Sciences Division.
After admission to a health sciences program at SUSCC, students must complete a comprehensive background check and drug screening. Background checks and drug screening will be conducted by one vendor approved by the clinical agencies. Students who do not clear the Background Check will not be allowed to register for nursing courses. Students who do not pass the drug screening will be withdrawn from the nursing program. Find more information on the Background Check and Drug Screening by clicking here.
Students in the Health Sciences must demonstrate proof of health insurance. Students without proof of health insurance will not be allowed to register for health sciences courses or attend clinical. If you do not have insurance you may obtain information regarding insurance offered to SUSCC students at www.studentinsurance.comor call 1-877-272-4532.