Transfer Students

10 Easy Steps to Enrolling for Transfer Students

Have you previously attended a regionally accredited college or university and wish to transfer to Southern Union to continue your education? We are proud you have chosen Southern Union for the next step in your educational journey.


(If you attended a non-accredited institution, you should contact the Admissions Office for specific steps you should take.)

  1. General Application. Apply online or download and print the Application for General Admission. Complete and return by mail or in person to the Admissions Office on any SUSCC campus. Your student email account will be available following application to the college. Please check this email for any notifications regarding your application.

  2. Submit identification. The Admissions Office must receive appropriate identification when you apply for general admission. Click here for guidelines for submitting appropriate identification documents. 

  3. Apply for financial aid.
  4. Provide the following required records MAILED to Records Office:
    • official transcripts from all regionally accredited postsecondary institutions attended.
    • official high school transcripts indicating graduation date or GED scores (effective fall 2014).
    • Applicants who have completed the baccalaureate degree will be required to submit only the transcript from the institution granting the baccalaureate degree and high school or GED scores unless otherwise required.
  5. Placement testing. Transfer students who cannot document a degree-creditable English composition and math may be required to take Accuplacer placement test. Click here to find out if you need placement testing.

  6. Secure tuition payment method. Payment is due at time of scheduling classes with advisor.
    • Final approval for financial aid may take 6-8 weeks for processing.  Final processing of financial aid with Southern Union cannot occur until steps 1-4 have been completed.
  7. Attend a registration session to meet with an academic advisor for initial registration. Transfer student should bring unofficial transcripts to registration meeting. Steps 1-6 must be complete before scheduling classes with an advisor. Payment is due at the time of registration.
    • Registering for FALL SEMESTER?
      REGISTER EARLY FOR FALL! Transfer students may schedule a SOAR (Student Orientation and Registration) event during the month of June or July. Students who do not attend a SOAR session but who wish to enroll in Fall semester classes should attend an Early Registration or Regular Registration session to schedule classes with an academic advisor. (Bring copies of all unofficial transcripts to SOAR or registration meeting.)
  8. Verify payment. Report to Cashier’s Office to verify payment recorded and to obtain parking permit immediately following scheduling appointment.
  9. Obtain Student ID. Report to Learning Resource Center on Opelika or Wadley Campus with your PAID class schedule during designated LRC operating hours to get your student ID .
  10. Obtain books for your classes. Students using financial aid to purchase books may charge books through the campus bookstore following a 24 hour waiting period after scheduling classes. Books for financial aid recipients are sold during a designated schedule each semester which is posted in the financial aid office or bookstore. Student must present a SUSCC Student ID to charge books to financial aid.

Attend classes!