International Student Information

Southern Union is proud to serve the educational endeavors of our International Students.

In addition to regular admission requirements, and before an I-20 can be issued, International students must complete an International Student Information Packet.

Prior to being issued an I-20 form, all international student applications must be submitted no less than three months prior to the beginning of the semester for which the applicant hopes to gain admittance.

International student applicants are not eligible for conditional admission status.

For more information on admission to SU, International Students should contact Madisen Bugbee at 334-745-6437 ext. 5494 or Amber Lovelace at 256-395-2211 ext. 5155.

NOTE: You must submit your International Student Application for Admission at least three (3) months prior to the beginning of the semester in which you hope to be admitted to the College in order to be issued an I-20. Thank you for your interest in Southern Union.

Read the instructions and information in this packet carefully. First, you must complete the Application for General Admission. You will receive a letter from our Registrar with this packet of instructions. Then, prospective international students must submit all of the following documents listed below to Charria Campbell at the address provided herein, before further consideration may be given to the student’s admission or enrollment process.

Please note: Southern Union requires official documents. Official documents and/or transcripts must be mailed from educational institutions and/or testing agencies to the Southern Union Admissions Office.

Application Packet Check List:

  1. Submit a college application for general admission.
  2. Completed Application for International Students.
  3. Official High School and College Transcripts (if applicable) Indicating Graduation Date. (Transcripts from high schools and colleges in foreign countries must be translated in English and submitted to one of the following evaluators.) (1) Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. P.O. Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 Phone: (414) 289-3400 Website: Email: OR (2) World Education Services 5087 Bowling Green Station, New York, NY 10274-5087 Phone: (212) 966-6311 or (800) 937-3895 Fax: (212) 739-6100 Website: Email: OR (3) Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. 7101 SW 102 Avenue, Miami, FL 33173 Phone: (305) 273 -1616 Fax: (305) 273-1338 Website: Email:
  4. U.S. Official College Transcripts (if applicable). A Transfer Clearance Form must also be submitted for students who are or were enrolled in any U.S. college or university.
  5. Minimum Official TOEFL score of 550 pbt, 213 cbt, or 79 ibt. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be taken by each international student whose national language is not English and who did not graduate from an English speaking high school. Official scores should be sent from the Educational Testing Service (ETS/TOEFL), to Southern Union State Community College (Institutional Code:1728) prior to a decision on admission.
  6. Proof of Adequate Health/Accident Insurance. Documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance must be maintained detailing all periods of enrollment and must include a repatriation clause of $25,000 or more. 
  7. Sponsor. The Sponsor Support Form must indicate that he/she will be responsible for the student while they are in the United States. A sponsorship form is attached for your convenience. This form requires documentation.
  8. Financial. The college requires the Financial Support Form to be on file. This letter should indicate that the student will have at least $35,850 (United States currency) available in the United States for their expenses while they are enrolled. Financial aid is generally not available to international students.
  9. Immunization/Medical Form. Must be completed and signed by a medical physician or authorized health care professional.

*Note: International students are required to be enrolled full-time (12 semester/contact hours or more) during the fall and spring semesters. However, they can be part-time, or do not have to be enrolled during the summer term. This is the college’s “break period” regarding international student enrollment. There are very limited exceptions to this policy; however, international students can drop below full-time enrollment if it is the final term for the completion of their program of study (graduation). 

Mail all official documents to:
Madisen Bugbee, International Student Coordinator
Southern Union State Community College
301 Lake Condy Road
Opelika, AL 36801