Consumer Information

Consumer Information Index:
  Family Educational and Privacy Act (FERPA)
  Student Activities
  Facility and Services for Disabled Students
  Student Body Diversity
  Cost of Attending the College - Tuition Fees
  Withdrawal Procedures
  Repayment Policy
  Academic Policies
  Accreditation InformationFinancial Assistance
  Student Outcomes
  Health and Safety

Information about the College

Southern Union State Community College, located in east central Alabama, is an open-access, public, two-year college operating as a part of The Alabama College System. The mission of the College is to provide quality academic, technical, and health science programs which are affordable, accessible, and responsive to the needs of the community, business, industry, and government. As an open-door institution, the College provides an educational program that compliments the various ability levels of a diverse student population. In support of these efforts, the College employs a highly qualified staff which is active in the planning and evaluation of all programs. The education offered allows for successful transfer entry into upper-level study at a senior college or university, trains for immediate employment upon completion of a technically-oriented program, and provides educational opportunities for those students interested in careers in the health care field.

Southern Union State Community College seeks to offer courses that address the diverse needs of the students and the community. It is the belief of the College that education is a lifelong process; thus, the College seeks to provide effective and relevant programs which assist students in recognizing and more fully utilizing their capabilities. The College seeks to provide students a wide range of opportunities to attain personal fulfillment and to prepare for their responsibilities as citizens. It is the intent of Southern Union to develop and maintain partnerships with business and industry, labor, government, professional organizations, and other academic institutions in order to ensure high quality educational programs and better serve students, employers, and the community as a whole. Through such partnerships, the College is attempting to meet the needs of the existing and future workforce. The College also strives to contribute to the intellectual and cultural activities of the community.

The mission statement is further defined through the institutional goals of Southern Union State Community College which follow:

  1. Provide a comprehensive and accessible program of instruction which offers opportunities for lifelong learning through pre-baccalaureate, technical, occupational, health science, and continuing education programs.
  2. Assist students in overcoming deficiencies and acquiring skills fundamental to further academic and career achievement.
  3. Provide a broad range of services to students which enhance the effectiveness of educational offerings and include academic advising, counseling, career planning, financial assistance, and extracurricular activities.
  4. Maintain the pursuit of excellence as the guiding principle for staffing and programming.
  5. Maintain cooperative relationships with other educational institutions and agencies at all levels to facilitate smooth articulation to and from college programs.
  6. Maintain cooperative relationships with public and social agencies, area businesses, and industries through close communication and provision of services and programs as needed or requested. 
  7. Maintain systematic participation of the college staff in comprehensive institutional planning, management, and evaluation of college operations. 
  8. Promote educational, cultural, and recreational enrichment of the community by extending college facilities and offering resources to the community.


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, As Amended

Under the Federal Family Educational and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. 1232g, Southern Union State Community College may disclose certain student information as “directory information.” Directory information includes the names, addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, and major fields of study of students, as well as information about students’ participation in officially recognized activities and sports, the weight and height of members of athletic teams, the dates of attendance by students, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by a respective student. If any student has an objection to any of the aforementioned information being released during any given term or academic year, the student should notify the Dean of Students through written communication.

Notification of Student rights under FERPA - FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and to review the student’s education records.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by Southern Union State Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  5. The right to obtain a copy of Southern Union State Community College’s student records policy, which is available at the Records Office.

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, officials at the Southern Union Community College collect and maintain information about students. Although these records are property of the College, both College policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning their records. The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establish the rules and regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

To fulfill FERPA requirements, the College has established policies regarding student records. These policies outline a student's rights regarding his/her records, where records about the student may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which the student or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action a student can take if it is believed that the information in his/her record is inaccurate or that the student's rights have been compromised. Policies and procedures for privacy of student educational records are published by the Office of the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar and are included in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and on the College Web site.

The College is also required to annually notify students of their rights under FERPA. Students are provided an annual notice via email.  Interested parties may obtain a paper copy of information regarding FERPA.


Southern Union Community College offers activities, programs, and services that promote academic support, leadership, and social and cultural experiences. An outline of student activities is included in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and on the College web site. Inquiries regarding student activities may be directed to the Office of the Coordinator of Student Life, at 256-395-2211


The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against any qualified person regardless of his or her disability. The College strives to create a welcoming environment and will work in good faith to meet the needs of all populations. All reasonable and appropriate accommodations for qualified disabled students, applicants, or employees, will be met unless to do so would present an undue hardship to the College.

To request accommodations, students with disabilities should provide documentation of the disability to the ADA Coordinator on their campus. The documentation should address the specific accommodation and should be dated within three years of the enrollment date. Once the documentation is filed with the ADA Coordinator, the student’s instructors will be notified of the requested accommodation. Students should update their information with the ADA Coordinator by the courses for which they are seeking accommodations each semester.

Information on facilities and services for disabled students is outlined on the College web site. individuals may also contact the following Compliance Officers:

Opelika Campus:
   Gary Branch
   Phone: (334)745-6437 ext. 5139 Email:
   Cydney Mathews
   Phone: (334)745-6437 ext. 5488 Email:

Valley Campus:
   Robin Brown
   Phone: (334)756-4151 ext. 5204 Email:

Wadley Campus:
   Carol Howell
   Phone: (256)395-2211 ext. 5403 Email:


Student demographic information is published each year in the Southern Union Community College Fact Book. Information is also reported to the National Center for Educational Statistics through the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). For additional information about the diversity of the SUSCC student body, contact the Office of Student Services, 256.395.2211

A Quick Facts sheet is also available here: Quick Facts 2018-2019


General Policies

  • Students must pay tuition and fees in full by the published due date in order to have their names placed on class rolls and to attend classes. Payment may be in any combination of cash, check, Visa or MasterCard, Discover Card, grants, and scholarships. Sponsored students, i.e., Vocational Rehabilitation Service, Alabama Veterans Affairs, etc., must have written authorization from the appropriate agency to complete registration.
  • Students who fail to pay tuition and fees are not registered and should not attend class.
  • Southern Union State Community College reserves the right to revise fees, price schedules and terms of payment, and other financial elements listed in this catalog at any time without notice.
  • Tuition is waived for Alabamians age 60+ through the Senior Adult Scholarship Program if enrollees concur with program guidelines in course selection. Fees must be paid by the senior adult student.

Tuition and Fee Schedule*

Click here for current Tuition and Fee Schedule

Residence Hall Room and Board
Click here for Residential Hall Room and Board Information

Expenses (Per Semester)

The reservation/deposit fee as well as the first room and board payment for each semester is due prior to move in. The remaining payments are due approximately monthly with specific dates for payment published each term. The entire amount may be paid in advance if desired.

  1. Reservation/Deposit Fee..............................................................$200.00 
    Required to reserve a room. Fee is refunded when vacating less any application damages and/or outstanding charges. Damages exceeding deposit are payable at time of occurrence.
  2. Residence Hall Room and Board - Fall/Spring Term......................$1600.00
    Due before move-in. Includes five-day meal ticket with three meals daily Monday - Friday.
  3. Residence Hall Room and Board - Summer Term.........................$1200.00
    Due before move-in. Includes five-day meal ticket with three meals daily Monday - Friday.
  4. Reissuance of lost meal ticket.....................................................$1.00
  5. Cable Television service..............................................................Included
  6. Internet service..........................................................................Included
  7. Telephone Service (long distance service) is available through CenturyTel. Students must contact and contract directly with the company.
  8. Single room supplement.............................................................$100.00
  9. Overnight guest lodging.............................................................$15.00 
    Overnight guests must be approved in advance through the Director of Student Life.

NOTE: All fees are subject to change without notice.

For additional information regarding the cost of attendance, contact the Financial Aid office at 256-395-2211 ext. 5356 (Wadley) 5162


Withdrawal from the College and Refunds
Click here for withdrawal information

To withdraw from the College, a student should secure a withdrawal form from the Records Office and complete and return the form. Refund of tuition applies for students who completely withdraw from the College during the refund period and so notify the Records Office in writing of their withdrawal.

Refunds for Fall and Spring Terms:
Prior to first day of class.........................................................................100%
First Week (beginning the same day as late registration fee applies)..........75%
Second Week............................................................................................ 50%
Third Week................................................................................................25%

Refund for Summer Term

Specific dates are in the term schedule. Each refund period is approximately three days during summer term.

Refund for Mini-Terms

*See class schedule for refund policies on mini-terms.

All refunds, other than 100% withdrawals, are subject to a 5% administrative fee, not to exceed
$100. Refunds are made at mid-term. Financial aid students are subject to the “Financial Aid Return of Title IV Funds Policy” found in the Financial Aid section of the Catalog.

Reduction in Credit Hours

Students who reduce their credit hours during the drop/add period will receive at mid-term a tuition adjustment at the applicable rate. After the end of the drop/add period, students who reduce their credit hours without withdrawing from the College will receive no tuition refund.

Room and Board

Room and board will be refunded as follows:

  1. Withdrawal prior to the published first day of class: full refund.
  2. Withdrawal prior to the end of first week of class: 75% less 5% administrative fee.
  3. Withdrawal prior to the end of second week of class: 50% less 5% administrative fee. 
  4. Withdrawal prior to the end of third week of class: 25% less 5% administrative fee.
  5. Withdrawal after the end of the third week of class:

No Refunds will be issued for room & board. Residents will be responsible for the entire semester. In case of residence hall suspension, only advance payments for food will be refunded.

Short Courses

Full refunds for short courses will be given if students withdraw prior to the beginning of the class. After the class meets, no refund will be given.


The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid (federal "Title IV" grant) they have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. Funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the College and/or the student to the federal government. The repayment policy is available on the web and in the College Catalog and Student Handbook. Questions regarding the calculations of refunds may be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

When a student receiving federal financial aid withdraws from school, federal regulations require the application of a strict repayment formula. The student is eligible for a percentage of financial aid in relation to the percentage of the term he/she was enrolled.

Any amount of financial aid in excess of that percentage earned must be repaid to the federal Title IV fund. If according to the percentage formula the student has earned financial aid that has not been disbursed, the student may be eligible for those funds even after withdrawal. If a student is the recipient of Title IV funds, he/she must attend classes to receive aid. If a student fails to attend classes for which he/she is enrolled, no financial aid will be awarded for those courses, and the student will be administratively withdrawn or dropped from those classes not attended. Students who stop attending classes during the semester also may be reported for nonattendance, and may be administratively withdrawn or dropped from those classes. Students who withdraw or are administratively withdrawn from all of their classes prior to completion of 60% of the semester may have funds that must be returned to Title IV funds. A calculation will be performed at the time of withdrawal. A copy of the “Return of Title IV Funds” calculation worksheet is available in the Financial Aid Office. Students who owe a repayment due to withdrawal will be placed on hold and will not be allowed to register or receive transcripts until the repayment is made.


The College is authorized to award the Associate in Science, Associate in Occupational Technologies, and Associate in Applied Science degrees as well as certificates in occupationally specific areas. These degrees and certificates are obtained by students successfully completing a series of courses called a “program” of study.

The Academic Division at Southern Union State Community College offers the Associate in Science (A.S.) and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees. Students may also earn Certificates in some curriculum areas. Academic Division departments include Business, Child Development, Fine Arts, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Social Science. The SUSCC Learning Resource Centers are also part of the Academic Division.

Since the College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the College’s academic courses, dependent upon an individual’s program of study, are transferable to other colleges and universities. All academic courses are taught by fully qualified instructors with a low student to teacher ratio. Through an articulation agreement between Alabama two- and four-year colleges and universities, two-year college students completing a planned university parallel program in Areas I - IV of the Associate in Science degree plus Area V courses that are appropriate to their major and/or degree program are guaranteed junior status upon transferring to the upper division college.

Class Scheduling

  1. Class Schedules 
    Class schedules are distributed prior to registration dates. These schedules provide students with information they need in registering for the subsequent term. The College reserves the right to cancel any course listed in the schedule of classes or to change instructors as conditions necessitate.
  2. Registration Procedures
    Students must follow the registration procedures established by the College to register initially for a course or to change their program after initial registration.
  3. Courses
    Courses are offered at Southern Union to fulfill degree and certificate requirements. With exception for specialized training programs, course numbers and descriptions are chosen from     the Common Course Guide which is required system wide by the Department of Postsecondary Education for all Alabama College System colleges.
  4. Course Load
    Course work at Southern Union is measured in terms of “semester hours.” The semester hour in the academic division represents one hour of lecture or other standard classroom instruction or two hours of experimental laboratory per week for one semester of approximately fifteen weeks. The semester hour in the technical and health sciences divisions represents one hour of theory, two hours of experimental laboratory, three hours of clinical practice/manipulative laboratory.
  5. Course Overload Special approval from the appropriate instructional dean is required for students who desire to register for more than 19 credit hours. Students may not register for more than 24 credit hours during any term. A cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher is required for consideration.
  6. Schedule Adjustments 
    All changes in student schedules shall be made during the drop and add period (see College Calendar).
  7. Withdrawal from a Single Course 
    A student who wishes to drop a single course may do so by obtaining a “Drop/Add Form” from the Records Office or Campus Administrative Office and by processing the form. Prior to the deadline date specified in the college calendar, the student will receive a grade of “W” for any course dropped. Withdrawal after the date specified in the calendar is permitted only under extenuating circumstances and requires the approval of the appropriate instructional dean. A grade of “W” is assigned if the student is doing satisfactory work and approval is given. Otherwise, a grade of “F” is assigned. Courses in which a final grade has been earned may not be dropped. A student may also drop a single course via the internet.
  8. Withdrawal from the College 
    A student may withdraw from the College at any time during the term by obtaining a “Withdrawal Request Form” from the Admissions Office or Campus Administrative Office and having it processed. Any withdrawal before the deadline specified in the calendar will result in a grade of “W” in all courses. After the date specified in the calendar, a grade of “W” (withdrawn not failing) will be assigned only if the student is doing satisfactory work at the time of withdrawal and extenuating circumstances apply. A grade of “F” will be assigned if the student is not doing passing work at the time of withdrawal or if s/he fails to follow the above procedure. Students may also completely withdraw from college via the internet.
  9. Administrative Withdrawal or Drop from a Course or from College
    A student may be dropped administratively from any course for (1) failure to complete college registration properly; (2) failure to fulfill conditions of registration in those cases when a student may have been allowed to register on a conditional basis; (3) falsification of application and/or records (4) failure to fulfill other conditions of admissions and/or registration; (5) failure to comply with student Southern Union State Community College conduct standards; (6) failure to attend class(es); and (7) failure to comply with “Standards of Practice” as established by the Alabama Board of Nursing, American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, or other regulatory or licensing agencies for programs of study in the Health Sciences Division.
  10. Repetition of Courses 
    Any course for which a student has previously registered may be repeated. Each attempt that results in an official grade (A, B, C, D, and F) will be recorded on the student’s transcript, and each attempt resulting in an official grade will be used in computing the grade point average except in the case of implementation of the grade adjustment policy. No course in which the last grade received was an “F” may be counted toward graduation. Also, a course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. The student should be aware that the last grade recorded may be regarded by a senior institution as the grade of record for transfer purposes. Institutional Scholarships will not pay for a repeat of successfully completed courses.
  11. Course Forgiveness Policy
    Any course for which the student has previously registered may be repeated. When a course is repeated one time, the last grade awarded (excluding grades of “W”) replaces the previous grade in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average during the term in which the course was first attempted will not be affected. The official transcript will list the course and grade each time it is attempted. When a course is repeated more than once, all grades for the course – excluding the first grade- will be employed in computation of the cumulative grade point average. A course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. This policy applies to Southern Union State Community College courses only.  Implementation of forgiveness does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.   A student may request forgiveness by completing a “Request for Course Forgiveness” forms in Student Records. Southern Union transcripts will include two GPAs: a semester GPA and a cumulative GPA may not include grades for all courses attempted. Course Forgiveness will not be granted for terms prior to the initiation of this policy (Fall Term, 1998).
  12. Transient Form (SU Students)
    Southern Union students wishing to take courses at another postsecondary institution and receive transfer credit must receive a Transient Form. To apply for a transient form, a student must meet the following criteria:

          (a) In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, transient forms are provided upon the student’s written
               request.Requests must be done in person through an academic advisor.              
          (b) Students must be currently enrolled at Southern Union with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
          (c) Students must be planning to return to Southern Union the next term after the transient status.
          (d) Requests should be made at least one week prior to need.
          (e) Requests may be denied for students who have a financial or other obligation to the college.

It is the student’s responsibility to have an official transcript forwarded to the Admissions Office at Southern Union after completing courses at another institution.


Students are expected to attend each class session, to arrive on time, and to remain for the entire class session. Faculty will record attendance from the first day of the semester. Excessive absences, regardless of the reason or circumstance, may interfere with the student’s ability to successfully complete the requirements of the course. In such cases, the student should withdraw from the class before the last date to drop with a grade of “W”. Withdrawal from class may affect eligibility for federal financial aid. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office for information. When a student is absent from class, the student is responsible for all material covered in class and for any assignments made in class. The instructor is not required to review with the student any material missed as a result of being absent, nor is the instructor required to notify a student if the student is in danger of a lowered grade due to any graded work missed. The instructor is not required to provide an opportunity for makeup. The instructor’s policies regarding makeup work shall be clearly defined in the syllabus to be distributed on the first day of class.

Attendance requirements in programs that lead to board licensure or certification may differ from this policy.



Students will be expected to take their final examinations at the regularly scheduled times. No exceptions will be made without the permission of the instructor of the course and the appropriate Dean. The request for an early exam must be made three weeks in advance of the final examination period. Makeup examinations or early examinations are not permitted unless the student satisfies the faculty.

Grading System

The quality of performance in any academic course is reported by a letter grade, the assignment of which is the responsibility of the instructor. These grades in the Academic, and Technical division are assigned quality points as follows:

                A - 90-100 4 quality points per credit
                B - 80-89 3 quality points per credit
                C - 70-79 2 quality points per credit
                D - 60-69 1quality point per credit
                F - 59 and below 0 quality points per credit

Grades in the Health Sciences Division (excluding physical education and CPR) are assigned quality points as follows:

                A - 90-100 4 quality points per credit
                B - 80-89 3 quality points per credit
                C - 75-79 2 quality points per credit
                D - 60-74 1quality point per credit
                F - below 60 0 quality points per credit

Withdrawal - A grade of “W” is assigned to a student who officially withdraws from a class or from the College on or before the date specified in the college calendar. If the withdrawal is requested after the date specified in the calendar, then the student must be passing at the time of withdrawal and receive permission of the appropriate dean of instruction in order to withdraw passing. No credit is given for a "W".

Only under extenuating circumstances will a student be allowed to withdraw passing (W) after the published deadline. Students who withdraw from a course after the date specified in the college calendar and who are failing at the time of the withdrawal will receive the grade of “F”.

Grade Reports

At the close of each term, an individual report showing the scholastic record of each student is accessible on-line through the "mySUSCC" web portal. These grades are a part of the student’s permanent record and will be recorded on his/her official transcript. At the option of the instructor, midterm progress reports may be sent to students who are in danger of failing a course. Midterm alerts are sent to the student’s Southern Union email account.


A transcript is an exact copy of a student’s permanent academic record at the time it is issued. It can be either an official or an unofficial transcript, the latter usually issued directly to and only for the personal information of the student concerned. Partial transcripts are not issued. Southern Union State Community College transcripts include the student’s complete record at Southern Union.

Transcript Requests

The Admissions Office maintains student records and, upon written request from the student, will issue transcripts. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 defines the rights of the student with regard to records and other information that might be maintained and/released.

  • In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the College does not release transcripts of a student’s work except upon the student’s written request, except in a case where educational or governmental offices have a lawful need for the information.
  • Students may receive an unofficial copy of their Southern Union transcript in the Office of Admissions. Requests may be filled out in person, faxed to (334) 745-6368, or obtained through the website at 
  • Official transcript requests are processed as they are received.

Transcript request are processed daily. Please make sure to request transcripts ahead of time to allow enough time for your transcript to be processed and mailed. 

Written Transcript Request

Written transcript requests should be sent to the following address:
Southern Union State Community College
Office of Admissions/ Registrar
P.O. Box 1000
Wadley, Alabama 36276

Written requests should include name, Social Security Number/Student ID number, student’s signature, telephone number, and name and address to which the transcript should be forwarded. NOTE: Students with name changes should include all former names.

Online Transcript Request

Official Transcript Request: 

Official Transcripts are now available through Credentials Solutions by clicking the following link: Official Transcript Request. Once on the website, use the following instructions:

  1. Choose either "Order PDF Transcripts" or "Order Paper Hard-Copy Transcripts."
  2. Complete the information including your Student "A" Number (student ID) or your Social Security Number if you do not know your "A" Number.
  3. If you are a current student and wish to include the current semester's grades, be sure to select the hold for grades option when completing the request. 
  4. The cost for a transcript is $5. Payments can be made with debit/credit cards. 

You can also access the transcript request system through your mySUSCC account:

  1. Login to mySUSCC
  2. Select the "Student" Tab
  3. Select "Student Records"
  4. Select "Order Official Transcript"
  5. Follow the instructions for ordering. 

Please note that any outstanding balances owed to the college must be paid before any official transcripts can be released. Beginning on December 15, 2020, no other form of transcript request can be accepted. 

Unofficial Transcripts 
Unofficial transcripts can be printed from the mySUSCC web portal by selecting the "Student" tab, then "Student  Records," and then "Unofficial Academic Transcript."

Additional Information
For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 

For additional information regarding Academic Programs and degree offerings, please visit the college web site at and click on the College Handbook. Information is also available by contacting the Dean of Instruction at 256-395-2211.


The College is required to communicate its policy on transfer credit. Information regarding the College’s policies regarding transfer of credit is outlined in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and has also been included in this section. Students or prospects with questions regarding transfer of credit may contact the Registrar at (256) 395-2211 ext. 5155 or

General Principles for Transfer of Credit:

Course work transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate program must represent collegiate course work relevant to the formal award. Course content and level of instruction must result in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in College undergraduate formal award programs. In assessing and documenting equivalent learning and qualified faculty members, the College may use recognized guides that aid in the evaluation for credit. Such guides include those published by the American Council on Education, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs.

Courses completed with a passing grade at other duly accredited institutions are accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements. Transfer grades of D are accepted only when the transfer student’s cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or above. If a student has a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above, the grade D is accepted the same as for native students.

Transfer Credit from Foreign Institutions

Students who have attended academic institutions outside the United States must submit an official translated copy of their high school transcript and college transcript translated by World Education Services, Inc. or Lisano International Foreign Education Credential Evaluation. Course descriptions must be included with the evaluation/transcripts. Transfer credit is not guaranteed and will be subject to the following conditions:

  • Transfer credits must fall within the school’s guidelines and are subject to approval by the registrar, dean and/or program chair. 
  • Courses must be germane to a program/degree/certificate at Southern Union State Community College. 
  • A transfer grade of “D” will only be accepted when the transfer student’s cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above at the institution where the “D” grade was earned. If the student has a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, the grade “D” will be accepted the same as for native students.


Information on the College's faculty is available online under the departmental programs information and in the College Handbook.


Southern Union State Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award the Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science and Associate in Occupational Technologies Degrees. Inquires related to the accreditation status of the College may be directed to:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: (404)679-4501

Southern Union State Community College instructional programs have received individual professional accreditation/approval from the following organizations:

Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) - accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (61Broadway, New York, NY 10006; telephone (212) 363-5555 extension 153; fax
(212) 812-0390; website: and approved by the Alabama State Board of Nursing.

Computer Science Certified Internet Web Professional (CIW) - Authorized academic partner. Pearson VUE authorized Testing Center.

Cosmetology - Approved by the Alabama Board of Cosmetology.

Emergency Medical Services - accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for EMS Professionals (CoAEMSP) (1248 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021-4244; (817) 283-9403).

Nursing Assistant - approved by the Alabama Department of Public Health, Division of Healthcare Facilities.

Practical Nursing (PN Program) - approved by the Alabama State Board of Nursing.
Radiologic Technology Program - accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) (20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850, Chicago, IL 60606-3182, (312) 704-5300).

Surgical Technology Program - accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Therapeutic Massage - Approved as a licensed Massage Therapy School by the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy. State of Georgia Board Recognized Massage Therapy Educational Program.

Welding - American Welding Society (AWS), Certified Test Facility Southern Union State Community College

Information regarding accreditation is available in the College Catalog/Student Handbook and on the College website.


Information about the College’s policy related to the use of copyrighted material, including peer-to-peer files sharing, may be found under the Acceptable Use Policy heading as outlined in the College Catalog and Student Handbook. Click here for a detailed outline of this policy and sanctions that may be imposed for violations. Students and others are also reminded that copyright infringement is a federal offense punishable by law.


Through institutional, state, and federally subsidized assistance programs, Southern Union State Community College provides financial aid to students of academic promise and financial need. Part-time employment, scholarships, loans, and grants assist students who have difficulty meeting the financial obligations of college. All students are encouraged to apply. Southern Union Community College is required to communicate the availability of financial aid programs to students and prospective students. Information regarding financial aid programs is included in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and on the College web site. Individuals may also contact the Office of Financial Aid at the following locations:

Wadley Campus
750 Roberts Street
Wadley, AL 36276
Phone: (256) 395-2211

Opelika Campus
1701 LaFayette Parkway
Opelika, AL 36801
Phone: (334) 745-6437

Valley Campus
321 Fob James Drive
Valley, AL 36854
Phone: (334) 756-4151


Information regarding student rights and responsibilities is outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook and are included in this document for review. Students have the right to know the following information regarding financial aid at Southern Union State Community College:

  • Financial aid programs available.
  • Educational programs and services available
  • Cost of attendance for programs
  • Application process for all financial aid programs, including deadlines
  • How financial aid recipients are selected
  • Procedures for appealing decisions made by Financial Aid staff members
  • How the College determines financial need
  • How and when students will receive financial aid funds
  • Southern Union Community College refund policy
  • Job description and rate of pay for any job assigned under the Federal Work-Study program
  • How the College determines if students are making satisfactory academic progress and what happens if they are not.

Students have the following responsibilities:

  • Completing applications correctly and on time
  • Reading and understanding all materials sent from the Office of Financial Aid and other agencies
  • Keeping copies of all documents submitted to the Office of Financial Aid
  • Knowing and complying with the rules governing financial aid received
  • Providing all documentation and information requested by the Office of Financial Aid
  • Registering for the number of hours required for financial aid disbursement
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress
  • Using financial aid only for expenses related to attending Southern Union State Community College
  • Checking College student e-mail account for financial aid information
  • Keeping e-mail and mailing addresses up to date with the College and other financial aid agencies
  • Informing the Office of Financial Aid of all colleges attending or previously attended.


On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act to enhance protection against fraud in student financial assistance. According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use luring lines to sell their scholarship services. Students should avoid any scholarship service or website which asserts any of the following statements:

• "This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
• "You can't get this information anywhere else."
• "I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
• "We'll do all the work."
• "This scholarship will cost some money."
• "You've been selected by a 'national foundation' to receive a scholarship" or "You're a finalist" in a contest you never entered.

If you believe you have been the victim of scholarship fraud and wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit the Web site at


Graduation, Transfer-Out and Retention Rates

The Southern Union State Community College maintains annual information regarding its graduation, transfer-out and retention rates for first-time full-time entering freshmen. While many students enter the College with varying educational goals, the College is required to disclose information for first-time full-time entering freshmen who are certificate or degree- seeking undergraduates and have completed their programs within 150% of the normal time for graduation. Graduation, transfer-out and retention rates are reported to the Department of Education through the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Data regarding the College’s graduation, transfer-out and retention rates are here. Students may also request a copy of the report by contacting Southern Union State Community College at (256) 395-2211.

Graduation and Retention Rates for Student Athletes

Information regarding student demographics for athletes must be provided to potential student-athletes, their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors when an athletically related student aid offer is made. For information, contact the Athletic Department, (256) 395-2211.

Athletic Program Participation and Financial Support

As part of The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information on annual participation rates and financing of men's and women's sports in intercollegiate athletic programs is available upon request to students and the general public. For additional information or to receive a paper copy of the report, contact the Athletic Department, (256) 395-2211.

Employment and Graduates

According to institutional data, 62% of the graduates who completed their programs of study during the 2008-2009 academic years are employed in their field or a related field or they have enlisted in the military. Questions regarding employment percentages may be directed to the Office of the Dean of Instructional Affairs, (256)395-2211. Students wishing to review available job listings in the College’s service area may visit the Career Development Center on the Southern Union Campus at the Student Services Department.


Campus Safety

Each year, Southern Union State Community College prepares a "Campus Security and Crime Report" and distributes it to the College community. The report, which is issued by October 1, contains detailed information on campus police and security personnel, drug and alcohol abuse policies, sexual harassment policies, crime prevention, crime prevention tips, information on reporting criminal activity, and timely warnings regarding campus emergencies. The report also includes statistics concerning crimes on campus. For a complete copy of this report and to review additional information regarding campus security, visit the SUSCC Campus Police web site at or call:

Wadley Campus
   Day: 256-395-2211 ext. 5823 or 334-328-4743
   Evening: 334-328-9793

Opelika and Opelika Downtown Campus:
   Day: 334-395-2211 ext. 5523 or 334-324-3631
   Evening: 334-328-9392

Valley Campus:
   Day: 256-395-2211 ext. 5823 or 334-328-4749
   Evening: 334-756-4151

Vaccination Policy

Southern Union State Community College does not have a policy regarding vaccinations; however, the College is concerned about the health and wellbeing of all members of the College community. In this regard, SUSCC encourages all students and employees to remain current on vaccinations as suggested by appropriate health authorities.  The College has also initiated measures to inform students and employees of tips for preventing the spread of flu and other airborne diseases.


Southern Union State Community College believes in the democratic process and makes every effort to educate students regarding the importance of exercising their right to vote.  The College is required to distribute voter registration forms to students for federal elections and state elections for governor. In an effort to distribute voter registration forms to students, the College conducts periodic voter registration drives and makes forms available on the College campuses.  Students interested in obtaining voter registration forms may contact Student Services on the Opelika Campus at (334)745-6437.