Admissions Overview

Admissions Information

Southern Union welcomes high school graduates, GED recipients, transfer or transient students from other colleges and universities, and former SU students. There are also opportunities for eligible high school students who meet SU admissions requirements to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes.

Your application for general admission provides us with the information we need to get you started. Once you've submitted your application, the admissions office must receive a copy of your drivers license or other acceptable forms of identification, as well as your high school transcript and/or any college transcripts.

For admission to courses leading to an associate degree, you must hold a High School Diploma or GED. For additional questions, please contact our Admissions office at, or 256-395-2211.

Requesting Transcripts from Southern Union State Community College

For information on how to request your educational records or transcripts from Southern Union, please refer to the following website: Transcript Requests


Applying at SU is as easy as 1 -2- 3:

STEP 1: Submit Your Application

Students seeking first-time admission to SU should complete an application for admission. You may submit a printed application by mail or in person to the Records Office on the campus you plan to attend.  For a complete list of all steps a new student should follow in order to apply for admission to the College and register for classes, click here. Download an Admissions Application here or complete an online application

STEP 2: Submit an Official Photo ID

For admission, applicants must present one primary form of identification. Examples of primary forms of identification:

  • Unexpired Alabama Driver’s License or instruction permit
  • Unexpired Alabama identification card
  • Unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card
  • Resident Alien Card - Pre-1997
  • Unexpired Driver’s License or instruction permit from another state or possession that verifies lawful presence, dated 2000 and beyond
  • U.S. Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151) prior to 1978
  • BIA or tribal identification card with photo
  • I -797 Form with expiration date
  • Voter identification card from a state that verifies lawful presence

Applicants should submit the identification in person. Applicants can also email a copy of their identification to

STEP 3: Submit proof of high school graduation/GED completion

  • Submit proof of high school graduation through official high school transcripts which indicate the date of graduation
  • official GED transcripts

STEP 4: Submit Official Transcripts (if applicable)

Request official transcripts from each college/university you have attended.  All official transcripts must be sent directly to Southern Union:

Attention: Records Office
PO Box 1000
Wadley, AL 36276


More Admissions Information for:

Special requirements may apply to international students seeking admission. Students must submit an International Student Application, official transcripts, an I-20 Form, TOEFL scores, declaration of responsibility statement, proof of insurance, and all appropriate admissions forms no less than 3 months prior to semester of anticipated enrollment.  Click here for the International Student Application and Information Packet.

Prior to being issued an I-20 form, all international student applications must be submitted no less than three months prior to the beginning of the semester for which the applicant hopes to gain admittance.

International student applicants are not eligible for conditional admission status.

For more information on admission to SU, International Students should contact  Madisen Cope at 334-745-6437 ext. 5494 or Amber Lovelace at 256-395-2211 ext. 5183.

NOTE: You must submit your International Student Application for Admission at least three (3) months prior to the beginning of the semester in which you hope to be admitted to the College in order to be issued an I-20. Thank you for your interest in Southern Union.

Read the instructions and information in this packet carefully. First, you must complete the Application for General Admission. You will receive a letter from our Registrar with this packet of instructions. Then, prospective international students must submit all of the following documents listed below to Madisen Cope at the address provided herein, before further consideration may be given to the student’s admission or enrollment process.

Please note: Southern Union requires official documents. Official documents and/or transcripts must be mailed from educational institutions and/or testing agencies to the Southern Union Admissions Office.

Application Packet Check List:

  1. Submit a college application for general admission.
  2. Completed Application for International Students.
  3. Official High School and College Transcripts (if applicable) Indicating Graduation Date. (Transcripts from high schools and colleges in foreign countries must be translated in English and submitted to one of the following evaluators.) (1) Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. P.O. Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 Phone: (414) 289-3400 Website: Email: OR (2) World Education Services 5087 Bowling Green Station, New York, NY 10274-5087 Phone: (212) 966-6311 or (800) 937-3895 Fax: (212) 739-6100 Website: Email: OR (3) Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. 7101 SW 102 Avenue, Miami, FL 33173 Phone: (305) 273 -1616 Fax: (305) 273-1338 Website: Email:
  4. U.S. Official College Transcripts (if applicable). A Transfer Clearance Form must also be submitted for students who are or were enrolled in any U.S. college or university.
  5. Minimum Official TOEFL score of 550 pbt, 213 cbt, or 79 ibt. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be taken by each international student whose national language is not English and who did not graduate from an English speaking high school. Official scores should be sent from the Educational Testing Service (ETS/TOEFL), to Southern Union State Community College (Institutional Code:1728) prior to a decision on admission.
  6. Proof of Adequate Health/Accident Insurance. Documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance must be maintained detailing all periods of enrollment and must include a repatriation clause of $25,000 or more. 
  7. Sponsor. The Sponsor Support Form must indicate that he/she will be responsible for the student while they are in the United States. A sponsorship form is attached for your convenience. This form requires documentation.
  8. Financial. The college requires the Financial Support Form to be on file. This letter should indicate that the student will have at least $35,850 (United States currency) available in the United States for their expenses while they are enrolled. Financial aid is generally not available to international students.
  9. Immunization/Medical Form. Must be completed and signed by a medical physician or authorized health care professional.

*Note: International students are required to be enrolled full-time (12 semester/contact hours or more) during the fall and spring semesters. However, they can be part-time, or do not have to be enrolled during the summer term. This is the college’s “break period” regarding international student enrollment. There are very limited exceptions to this policy; however, international students can drop below full-time enrollment if it is the final term for the completion of their program of study (graduation). 

Mail all official documents to: Madisen Cope 
Southern Union State Community College
301 Lake Condy Road
Opelika, AL 36801

If you have previously applied for general admission to Southern Union but did not enroll, or have previously been enrolled but have not attended Southern Union for six or more terms, you are required to update your information by completing a readmission form.   This form may be mailed to the address located on the form, emailed to the Records Office, or you may visit any campus to complete a readmission application in person. Students who have experienced a lapse in enrollment for six or more consecutive semesters are required to update transcripts from any postsecondary institution previously attended. Click here for a list of steps for the Returning Student.

Students who have attended another college previously are considered transfer students. Transfer students must submit an application for general admission to Southern Union, request official transcripts from previous college(s) to be sent to the Admissions Office, and official high school or GED transcripts. Click here for more details about applying as a transfer student.

If you are enrolled at another post-secondary institution and are interested in earning credit for transfer back to that college or university, you may be interested in enrolling as a transient student at Southern Union. Transient students must submit an application for general admission and an official transient form from your current college/university which certifies that the credit earned at Southern Union will be accepted as part of your academic program. You are not required to submit transcripts of previously earned credits from other post-secondary institutions. However, your transient letter of permission from your current college must be submitted to the Admissions office before registration. Once your application to Southern Union and official transient form has been received by the Admissions office, you will be granted access to register online for your approved courses. Click here for a list of steps to take to attend as a Transient Student.

High school students who have completed the tenth grade, have a cumulative "B" average, and are recommended by the local principal may enroll at Southern Union as an accelerated high school student. This program allows eligible high school students to earn college credit. Students must meet the entrance requirements of Southern Union and can only enroll in courses for which high school prerequisites have been completed. Under the Accelerated High School program, high school students do not earn high school credits for completing college courses. Normal tuition rates apply to students enrolled in this program. Check out this list of steps to take to enroll at SUSCC as an Accelerated High School Student.

The Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit High School program allows eligible high school students to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes and receive both high school and college credit. The student must be in grade ten, eleven, or twelve, have a 2.5 cumulative GPA for academics and career techincal programs, and obtain written approval of the Principal.  Qualified students must meet the entrance requirements of the college, and normal tuition rates apply for dual enrollment students.  

Now that you have decided you wish to enroll at Southern Union,  you will find a list of steps to take to enroll at SUSCC as a Dual Enrollment student.  For more information on eligibility in the accelerated high school/dual enrollment programs, contact Eddie Pigg at 334-745-6437, extension 5513 or and for information on the application process, contact the Registrar at 256-395-2211, ext 5183 or at


Admissions Office Hours of Operation, Fall and Spring:
Monday – Thursday: 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Admission Office Hours of Operation, Summer:
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday: College closed