Testing in an Online Course
When you enroll in an online course, you are not required to attend any on-campus meetings. Therefore, secure testing in an online course is a challenge. Your instructor has chosen the best testing solution(s) for your particular course using one, or a combination, of the following methods. Remember that these methods are primarily for online classes. Hybrid classes may require on-campus testing. Check the course notes in the class schedule for details about your hybrid course.
You may be required to take your exam through an online proctoring service. Currently Southern Union has an agreement with ProctorU, a live online proctoring service, to offer testing solutions at a reasonable cost to SUSCC students. When you compare the cost of transportation or taking time from work to go to campus for testing, the convenience of an online proctoring service is an excellent choice for many online students.
Students are charged a fee of $25 for each online class to cover costs for the online proctoring service. This fee is added at the time of tuition payment and is covered by some financial aid programs. This will enable you to take your final exam from any location at any time of the day or night you wish, as long as you have reliable internet service and a computer with working webcam and microphone. Most hybrid courses do not require the proctoring charge but occasionally may include the $25 charge if online testing is required. Refer to class notes in the current semester schedule for details as to whether the fee was added to your hybrid course.
- ProctorU allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. ProctorU is available 24/7, however you will need to schedule your proctoring session by a given deadline to avoid extra charges that you will be responsible for paying. If you wait until the period of 72 hours prior to the closing of the exam to schedule your test, you will be responsible for paying the extra fees to ProctorU.
- Creating a ProctorU account is very simple. All you will need to do is visit go.proctoru.com.
- ProctorU also provides free technical support to ensure you have the best testing situation possible. That is available at www.proctoru.com/testitout . On this page you will also be able to test your equipment, learn about what to expect during your proctoring session, and ask any questions you may have about the proctoring process with a ProctorU representative.
- In order to use ProctorU you will need to have a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a windows or apple Operating System, and a government issued photo id.
- ProctorU recommends that you visit proctoru.com/testitout prior to your proctoring session to test your equipment. For additional technical services needed before your exam, you can click on the button that says “connect to a live person.”
- Time and date: Your instructor will set a window of time that you may schedule testing. As long as you schedule your exam well in advance, you can be assured of a reasonable cost. Students who wait until 72 hour or less prior to the testing time will be charged an increased cost for testing.
Visit the Technical Support page for more information on testing with ProctorU. Click on the ProctorU symbol at the top of the page to go directly to the information.
Respondus Lockdown Browser with Monitor (webcam).
Some instructors require the use of the Respondus Lockdown Browser routinely for testing in their online courses and some additionally required video-monitoring with software called Respondus Monitor. If this is required, your instructor will give you this information in your Canvas online course. You will be required to have a working webcam and microphone to take the test(s).
Visit the Technical Support page for more information on testing with Respondus Monitor. Click on the Respondus Monitor symbol at the top of the page to go directly to the information.