10 Easy Steps to Enrolling for FIRST TIME college students
Are you a new college student who is ready to get started earning a college degree? Congratulations on your first step to a brighter future! We are proud you have chosen Southern Union to help you get started.
- General Application. Apply online or download and print the Application for General Admission. Complete and return by mail or in person to the Admissions Office on any SUSCC campus. Your student email account will be available following application to the college. Please check this email for any notifications regarding your application.
- Submit identification. The Admissions Office must receive appropriate identification when you apply for general admission. Click here for guidelines for submitting appropriate identification documents.
- Apply for financial aid.
Provide the following required records MAILED to Records Office:
- Official High school transcript indicating graduation date
- Official GED scores
- ACT or SAT scores, if taken within 3 years.
- Official college transcripts if dual/accelerated college credit earned while in high school.
Take COMPASS placement test. Click here to find out if you need placement testing.
Secure tuition payment method. Payment is due at time of registration with advisor.
- To apply for federal financial aid visit www.fafsa.ed.gov. Final approval for financial aid may take 6-8 weeks for processing. Final processing of financial aid at Southern Union cannot occur until steps 1-4 have been completed. Students should not attend a registration session to enroll in classes until SUSCC processing of financial aid is complete.
Attend a registration session to register with an academic advisor for initial registration. Steps 1-6 must be complete before scheduling classes. For fall registration, please see the note below to sign up for a SOAR session. New students who are unable to attend SOAR should come to campus on registration dates to schedule classes. Dates are published on the previous page you visited, in the Student Handbook and Catalog and Calendar on the website. Students who have earned dual/accelerated college credit while in high school should bring unofficial copy of college transcript. Payment is due at the time of registration.
Registering for FALL SEMESTER? Plan to attend SOAR.
REGISTER EARLY FOR FALL! First time college students who have never attended college may schedule a SOAR (Student Orientation and Registration) event during the months of June or July. Students who do not attend a SOAR session but who wish to enroll in Fall Semester classes should check the calendar link for days of early and regular registration in August.
- Registering for FALL SEMESTER? Plan to attend SOAR.
Verify payment. Report to Cashier’s Office to verify payment has been receipted and to obtain parking permits.
Obtain Student ID. Report to the Learning Resource Center on Opelika or Wadley Campus with a PAID class schedule during designated LRC operating hours to get your student ID. Students charging books to financial aid programs must present a valid SUSCC ID to charge books.
- Obtain books for your classes. Students using financial aid to purchase books and supplies may charge these through the campus bookstore following a 24 hour waiting period after scheduling classes. Books for financial aid recipients are sold during a designated schedule each semester which is posted in the financial aid office or bookstore. Student must present a valid SUSCC Student ID to charge books to financial aid.